Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Eli The Good by Silas House

I know we've always been told not to judge a book by its cover, but when I saw the cover of Silas House's newest novel I knew I was going to love it. Just look at it. . .that gorgeous sunlight flowing through that leafy canopy. Stare at it for awhile. Can't you just smell the earthiness of it?

Okay, so I'm going to love this book. That's what I told myself, but, wait a minute--it's about the Vietnam War. For someone who majored in History that shouldn't be a problem, but I have a bad history when it comes to reading books having to do with the Vietnam. They're always too depressing (think In Country) or gory (think The Things They Carried), and they tend to give me nightmares. Silas House, how could you do this to me? And with your Young Adult debut?! After much anguish, I mustered up the courage to read Eli the Good, and I loved it!

It's the summer of 1976 and the whole of the US is finding itself in a paradox. The Bicentennial has everyone in patriotic celebration, but the anger and disillusionment from the Vietnam War still pain the country. Ten-year-old Eli Book realizes this all too well. His father, Stanton, was one of the men who survived the conflict physically, but was mentally scarred instead with post-traumatic stress syndrome. To make matters worse, Eli’s war-protesting aunt comes to stay with the family. While her free-spirited, music-adoring lifestyle is a welcome refreshment, she is hiding something that casts another shadow over the family. The bitter resentment Stanton feels toward his sister’s protests of war increases the tension in the household. Despite this palpable bitterness, Eli’s own sister begins to call the war into question—further fueling the conflict. Eli also has questions, but they are ones he does not think he can ask. He feels a distance between himself and his mother, and he knows his father will never talk about what happened to him in Vietnam. For solace, Eli turns to his best friend and neighbor, Edie, who is also struggling to cope with familial turmoil. In this delicately handled and endearing coming-of-age tale, Silas House has managed to take on the burdensome confusion and hurt carried by children of Vietnam War veterans while exerting the universal truths of love and hope. Eli the Good just might make me read another book about the Vietnam War. So, sometimes you can judge a book by its cover.