Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Hound of the Baskervilles: A Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel


Grades: 6-12

Story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Adapted by Ian Edginton, Illustrated by I.N.J. Culbard

When I saw this on the new book I squealed with librarian glee! I've often thought that the Sherlock Holmes books would be great in the graphic novel format. I have to say that even I, literate librarian, get bogged down by the Victorian language used.

I was however afraid that the story would be watered down into "BAM" and "SWOOSH!" that are generally associated with graphic novels. The Hounds of the Baskervilles is a very complex story that has many story components. It would completely change the value of the story to remove these. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of text that was kept. I tend to be a purist as far as how I feel with regard to abridged texts--that is, I hate it when a text is abridged--and this was a great adaption.

Mr. Librarian is likewise a stickler for detail in renditions of literary masterpiece. You did NOT want to sit next to him during the Harry Potter movies or Troy. He fumed that why would anyone want to change the storyline of a book series that was as popular as Harry Potter or as infamous and classic as that of the city of Troy. Sometimes there is a reason to change the storyline. However, in these cases, it was ridiculous. I know. But, I think EVEN would enjoy this adaptation.

The illustrations really make the graphic novel. If the illustrations had been some kind of wispy stick figures or some really pretty flower stuff, it would have been an utter disaster. I like the way the characters were drawn. While the reader is unable to read the descriptions of people, it is very evident that the illustrator has read the descriptions of the people and taken that to heart when he draws. The mood, tone, and general feeling of Victorian London and countryside was taken into account in the colorful, yet gritty images.

If you haven't read this story, you must do so immediately.