Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cirque Du Freak Series by Darren Shan


Grades 6+

1. A Living Nightmare
2. The Vampire's Assistant
3. Tunnels of Blood
4. The Vampire Mountain
5. Trials of Death
6. The Vampire Prince
7. Hunters of the Dusk
8. Allies of the Night
9. Killers of the Dawn
10. The Lake of Souls
11. Lord of the Shadows
12. Sons of Destiny

I have only read the first 6, but what I have found has really surprised me. Looking at the cover of the book, I thought they would be wayyyyy to gross for me to even consider reading. But the sucker that I am, I went and saw the movie. While there are gross elements in the tales (a spider is kinda central...creepy!), it was an interesting storyline and the plight of the character Darren intrigued me. Thus, I was sucked into the underbelly of the vampire world.

The story follows Darren, a normal kid, who has an interest in horror. He and his friend Stephen sneek out one night to see a "freak show" and he is awed by what he sees, mainly, a strange red and blue spider who has top billing in the show. He manages to steal the spider and when the owner of said spider, a vampire, comes calling Darren realizes that his whole life is going to change.

Darren is a surprisingly sympathetic character and I find that what he is thinking is what I am thinking (apart from wanting to go to a freak show. ahhhH!)