Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nichols

Grades 6+
I should have known. When I read the back of the book I knew it was about a kid, Sam, who has leukemia. But as I read, it became evident that Sam not only had terminal leukemia but he had less than 6 months to live.

Sam, as one would expect, struggles with the idea of death. To try to figure out life's big questions, Sam makes lists of questions and documents how he tries to reason them out. Then he starts to make lists of things he wants to accomplish before he dies and documents how he achieves those things.

The family dynamic was the most interesting part. The mother was so emotional about the whole thing. The father seemed to be in denial. The sister was just too young to know what was going on. Towards the end, the roles reversed, as they often do in life.

I hate to spoil the end, but Sam does die. So yeah, this was a depressing book. But it was also sooooo good. Sam is a believable character. He doesn't white wash anything and he is not perfect. He is brave in facing his own death and sometimes he has to show an example for his parents who can't easily accept that their child is going to die.

When I finished this book, I cried like a little baby. My grandfather died a few months ago and that was my first experience with true loss. While Sam's death was vastly different from my grandfather's, but Sam's character reminded me of my grandfather. Sam prepared for his demise and wanted to make sure his loved ones would be prepared and able to continue on without him. He showed strength and great heart.

Loss is universal and a scary part of life. The reason I cried so much when I was finished reading this book is that the book proved to be true and it touched my little librarian heart.
File this book under "life changing."